Driftwood Sailboat

Here it is! 
This is my Driftwood project that I told you about in my last post
In case you missed that one, I recently took a trip to Florence, a little town on the Oregon coast. 
 It was so beautiful there. I brought home with me just a ton of driftwood that I collected from the beach. 

 When I stumbled upon this big piece of driftwood,  I knew that I wanted to make a
 sailboat with it.

  I searched around for a driftwood stick to go along with it. When I returned home I was anxious to get started on making my driftwood sailboat. The first thing I had to do was saw the stick to get a flat edge.

 Then using my largest drill bit, I drilled a hole in the center of the large piece of driftwood for the stick to go in.

 Using Gorilla Glue, I glued the stick into the hole. 
So I just had to share this, Look at my glue bottle.  The lid on this thing has glued itself closed so every time I need to use it, I have to hammer a nail into the bottle, pull out the nail, and then squeeze it as hard as I can to get the glue out. As you can see I use my Gorilla glue quite often.  :)

 Next, I leaned the stick up against some furniture projects that I'm working on  have been sitting on my back porch all year. And I waited for it to dry.

 Meanwhile, I sewed up a sail for my sailboat using a muslin fabric.  But I apologize, I failed to take pictures of this whole process.  Basically, I started off with two rectangles of muslin,  one larger than the other.  I folded the fabric to create a half triangle shape and continued to wrap the fabric all the way around itself to create lines and dimension into the sails.   Honesty, just play around with your fabric until you get the look you want.

Once I was happy with mine, I sewed over all of my edges. I just love the character it adds, rather then just a plain piece of fabric. It has has some lightly frayed edges in a few places that I find charming.

 From there I just hot glued the sails onto the driftwood stick at the top and bottom and then I hot glued the sails onto the large piece of driftwood at each corner.

To give you an idea at how big it is, here is my little 3 year old, Jaxon standing next to it.  

 I dragged my sailboat all around the yard taking pictures of it.

 But where it ended up is on my mantel, which I have changed up a bit.  I'll be sharing that in my next post.

Come back again Soon,


  1. Gorgeous. Wow Emily - I love it. If the rain ever stops here I'll be going beach combing for driftwood. I'd love one for my bathroom windowsill. x

  2. omg i want one!!! beautiful

  3. This is beautiful, Emily! I never expected you to make something like this with the driftwood. You are going to be getting orders for them!!


  4. I must admit that the llama photographs on your blog are very cute and,
    I hate to sound so rude but; nice knock off! You've just lost my respect ;)

  5. What a clever little idea! It came out beautiful and any one of us blog ladies would be sure to bid on it at auction. I just love the way driftwood absorbs the smell of the ocean...sigh.

  6. Your driftwood sailboat is awesome! ery pretty! Looking forward to seeing the whole mantel. Your lil Jaxon sure is a cutie!

  7. I love this project. Now I just need to get some driftwood from the Cape this summer :) Thanks for the wonderful project!


  8. That is nice!! I love how big it is. Good job, Emily!

  9. I love it. I'd love to make something like this to remind me about being out at the lake and sailing.


  10. Hands down this is one of the best driftwood sailboats I've seen! Definitely looking forward to more driftwood projects in the future. ;-) Hx